Disclaimer: The post and its author do not promote or encourage the consumption of alcohol, drugs, psychedelic or psychoactive substances.
An Entheogen, says Wikipedia is (“generating the divine within”) is a psychoactive substance used in a religious, shamanic, or spiritual context. Entheogens can supplement many diverse practices for transcendence, and revelation, including meditation, psychonautics, psychedelic and visionary art, psychedelic therapy, and magic.
A good article that sums up a lot about entheogens, has been posted by Ryhen Satch at Entheogen: The power of the forbidden fruit
An entheogen is ritually used to alter one’s perception of reality, to generate god or divinity within. It has found altruistic uses in
- Ego death
- Faith healing
- Psychedelic therapy
- Spiritual formation
and so on.
Alcohol has been used by Tantrics and Aghoris for spiritual advancement. Shaivite extremists, pan-india consume Bhang, a preparation made out of cannabis during MahaShivaratri (the night in reverence of Lord Shiva).
I have not tried any of these for spiritual advancements. There are certain herbs that are known to increase dopamine levels in the brain. I call them Zentheogens. These herbs, are not entheogens, but may be used as ingredients, among others, for preparing entheogens. The herbs are
- St. Johns Wort
- Green Tea
Although radical changes in ones perception of reality, can be induced chemically, as there are definitive pharmacological effects during deeper states of meditation. However, I believe the body along with the mind needs to be ready to withstand the effects of such radical changes. Supervision by seers, or traditional practitioners also is necessary to conduct such experiments on the self.
I always say, and I believe that the human body has everything it needs within itself. One should not underestimate the power of a suitable diet, good rest and regular meditation.
- Entheogens and the Development of Culture by John A. Rush [Ed.] (psypressuk.com)
- Why I Don’t Do Psychedelics Very Often Anymore (disinfo.com)
- Alternative Medicine and the Amazon Rainforest (consciouslifenews.com)
- TRYPTAMINES & NONDUALITY: An Entheological Guide to the Nature of Being. (freefallintoreality.com)
- Is NeoTheosophy A Thing Yet? (runesoup.com)
- Emergence of the Entheopolitan – Shunyamurti (lburns432.wordpress.com)
- Free Yourself Now, It’s Do or Die (wariscrime.com)
- Preparing the Brain for Shamanic Ecstasy: A Talk with Alberto Villoldo (realitysandwich.com)
- Discussion on the New Zealand Psychoactive Substances Act (julianbuchanan.wordpress.com)